Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

a tale of two tops


With summer approaching fast at least in theory, I want to update my wardrobe a little. I am not a fashionista, I mostly wear t-shirts, cardigans and jumpers over a pair of jeans but I do like to have a couple of nice tops that do not look too frumpy when I am meeting someone, or when I am running online tutorials that are video recorded. With that in mind, I was looking for a blouse of sorts but preferably one without buttons and collar.

After a few weeks of "looking around" I found the Ngaio Blouse by Scroop Patterns. It appealed to me because it is a bit different. I reminds me of a jumper I knitted a couple of years ago that I have only just started wearing because it was too small until a few weeks ago. I am loving it.

I have plenty of fabric and one in particular I thought would be lovely for the blouse. It is a lightweight viscose cotton mix in a pale pink with what appears to be berries on twiglets. I can't remember where I bought it. I wanted to make a circle skirt with it but I don't really wear skirts and gave up on the idea.

The measuring instructions are detailed and there is good guidance to choose the right cup size (three to choose from). I measured, and measured again. Then I printed the pattern out, taped it together and cut the right size. The pieces looked a bit mysterious and I was confused but in such cases, I just follow the instructions word by word until it all comes together. I think it is a good strategy, not worrying about the construction as a whole. Small steps are less daunting. It came together quite quickly and I was already wearing it in my mind.... but... and you knew there was a but coming because there is no photo of me wearing the finished blouse.... it was way too snug around my chest. I checked my measurements, I checked the pattern pieces and I concluded with confidence that I had not made a mistake. I looked up some reviews. Low and behold, one mentioned the snug fit... At least I tried it on before inserting the sleeves. To add insult to injury, when I trimmed and finished the should seams, I cut a 3 cm whole into the fabric. I did what I always do in such situations: I folded everything up neatly and placed it in a bag for a time in the future where I would be super slim. I'll worry about the cut then.

Not completely defeated and with plenty of fabric left, I needed a quick fix. I made a Sailor top. I make one of those every year anyway. It is quick and easy and the result is always pretty. I sewed until nearly 1 am in the morning on a Saturday night. That was a mistake because in my state of exhaustion, I under-stitched the neckband on the outside. I noticed the next morning when I sat down to put the finishing touches on. It was a not much effort to fix but a it was a bit annoying. I often use my overlocker for seams but for this top, I made neat and tidy French seams. I am telling you, it looks so neat on the inside, I could wear it inside out without embarrassment.

Lessons learned?
  1. Check the finished measurement of a new pattern. 
  2. Check if there is a review somewhere online and read it
  3. Make a toile
  4. Don't sew through the night. 
I am going to make the Ngaio Blouse soon, once I find a fabric that I like. Or maybe I'll just stick to making t-shirts, more forgiving. 

It is a funny old summer, isn't it? I am wearing a wooly jumper and knitted socks just now. Last year, it was scorching. I am a bit fed-up with the chill and gloom. I am not entirely sure why I was wearing my sunglasses when I took some photos. Maybe there was a rare ray of sunshine, or maybe I am just optimistic.

How are you all anyway? Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. x


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar